ATA problem

BSD Mail bsdmail at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 19:28:21 PST 2005

Hello, I'm having a problem installing any version of FreeBSD 5.2 and
above on a EIDE Western Digital Caviar 80GB. That system was running
4.x without any problems for over 2 years. When I planned to install
5.3 I got the error below. I thought at first it's HD jumper settings
"not that I changed the current settings" Then I thought it's the IDE
bus. I did further debugging. I installed different types of Linux and
Windows 2k and I got no problem with the HD.  I'm able to install
FreeBSD 5.1 and any prior release with no problem.

I read some threads about 5.3 having problems with some IDEs. If
that's the case, what is your suggestion ? I want to take advantage of
the nice features in 5.3 plus I got my DVD burner identified for the
first time under 5.3.

After I boot from CD to proceed with a clean install. When I get
hardware probing, as I reach  the 'ata' part I get the message below
and everything just freeze there. I have to do a hard boot.

ad0: 76293MB <WDC WD800BB-75FRA0> [155009/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
ata1-master: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY
status=7f<READY,DMA_READY,DSC,DRQ,CORRECT,INDEX,ERROR>
error=7f<UNCORRECTABLE,MEDIA_CHANGED,NID_NOT_FOUND,MEDIA_CHAN..REQUEST,ABORTED,NO_MEDIA,ILLEGAL_LENGTH>
LBA=0

Thank you,

--
Regards,