Xdm & Securelevels revisited

markzero mark at darklogik.org
Thu Jan 27 17:44:08 PST 2005

> > securelevel is raised before xdm can start which causes fireworks.
> just a thought: if you raise the securelevel after xdm has started and it
> dies, would you get fireworks again?

I'm leaving the text consoles open for that very reason. If xdm dies,
tries to restart (it will try every 30 seconds as init will sleep) I
can drop to single user and disable xdm. The only problem with this is
that I won't then be able to get X back without rebooting to securelevel
-1.

Correct me if I am wrong but all the documentation seems to suggest that
the securelevel cannot be lowered even in single user mode?

I am relying on xdm to be stable, which it does seem to be (I have used
it at the default securelevel on other machines).

--
PGP: http://www.darklogik.org/pub/pgp/pgp.txt
B776 43DC 8A5D EAF9 2126 9A67 A7DA 390F DEFF 9DD1