Backup to CD-Rs and DVDs

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Thu Jan 27 01:53:29 PST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:30, Xian wrote:
> I don't have any DVD-Rs of any format yet so I was messing about with CDs.
> I found I could burn files to the CD in a variety of ways but I can't get
> them back again.
> I've used dd and burncd to put the file onto a CD and dd sometimes gets
> something back too, but never works properly.
> Any ideas how to do this properly?

I think this is what you are looking for (lists.freebsd.org seems to down at
the moment, so I can't confirm this is the thread I think it is):
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-November/064560.html

Anyway, to backup /usr directly to a dvd(+rw), I use the this command:
dump -0 -uL -C16 -B4589840 -P 'growisofs -speed=4 -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/fd/0 ' /usr
This gives you a dvd or series of dvds with the dump file on them. You can
then boot from CD2 (live system) and use restore to restore the data. If the
link above is the one I think it is, it gives you an example restore command.

Hope that's the kind of thing you are after.

Cheers,
--
Ian

GPG Key: http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/imoore/imoore.asc