"Persistent" kernel module?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jan 26 12:00:15 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:45:31AM -0500, Tim Buck wrote:
> Is there a way to make a kernel module "persistent" between kernel
> builds? I'm using a HighPoint SATA RAID controller on FreeBSD 5.3.
> HighPoint provides a driver for this controller in the form of a
> kernel module (hpt374.ko). Their instructions say to put the module
> in /boot/kernel, and add 'hpt374_load="YES"' to the file
> /boot/defaults/loader.conf.
>
> This works, but when I build a new kernel the /boot/kernel dir gets
> renamed and recreated, and the hpt374.ko module doesn't get copied
> to the new dir. I have to copy it manually each time I build the
> kernel.
>
> So is there a way to make the kernel build process know about third
> party kernel modules and copy it over to the new /boot/kernel
> automatically?

This is somewhat intentional; if you update your kernel source and
recompile the kernel without recompiling the module, there's a good
chance your kernel will panic when you try and use it.  If you're not
planning to update your kernel sources but just want to recompile the
kernel with different options, there are other directories that are
checked for module loading - see the loader.conf manpage.

Kris