perl and ports

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jan 25 15:18:27 PST 2005

Gert Cuykens wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:47:32 -0800, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
> no why would it irritate developers ? Its just a question ? i only
> want them to think a bit before they bring in perl to build there
> application.
>
> I am not a developer so i can not think for them i can only ask
> questions. I would not even ask them if the application itself would
> use it. Then i would accept it as part of a furniture.

Let's put it this way: before you ask someone to remove Perl from a port, try
to make the port work without Perl yourself.  In many cases, you will not be
able to do so, because the dependency on Perl exists because it is needed for
the port to function.

While you are right that developers should not include unnecessary
dependencies on Perl, lots of software is written in that language....

--
-Chuck