Partition Size

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Tue Jan 25 13:36:32 PST 2005

Jerry McAllister wrote:

> This 'rest of the disk' should be divided up into chunks that can
> be dump(8)ed to one backup media if possible.   Otherwise you will
> get sloppy and not do backups because it is harder.  Since there is a

What kind of nonsense is this?  I've never heard about such an advise,
and it doesn't make sense to me.  Surely dumping a filesystem to
multiple tapes isn't more, most likely less, effort than dumping n
filesystems to one tape each.  The only case this doesn't hold is when
you're using amanda, but that's hardly a home setup, and comes with a
special backup discipline anyways.  Actually, I doubt that many people
use tape backup at home, considering how outrageously expensive the
stuff is, and the inexpensiveness of usb disks these days, which are a
lot easier to handle than tapes.

mkb.