perl and ports

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Jan 25 11:45:39 PST 2005

In the last episode (Jan 25), Gert Cuykens said:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:33:25 -0600, Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 09:26:07 AM +0100 Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > this is what i dont understand only need perl to compile it ?
> > >
> > > so some pakeges need perl to compile and some dont ? why not make
> > > them all perl independent ?
> >
> > This shouldn't be too hard to do.  All you have to do is contact
> > the developers for the 40,000+ different ports and ask them to
> > please stop using perl.  Once they all comply, the FreeBSD port
> > maintainers can eliminate perl.  (Course I'll be pissed, because I
> > use perl a lot.)
>
> I will start with the cvsup developer :P

Note that cvsup doesn't depend on perl itself; it does default to
having a GUI, which pulls in a dependency on the X11 libs, which pulls
in imake, which depends on perl.

Either installing the imake package via pkg-add, or building the
cvsup-without-gui port, will let you install cvsup without perl.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com