[Repost] Logging to custom file via syslog [was]: php log to own syslog file

Gerard Samuel fbsd-questions at trini0.org
Tue Jan 25 08:27:59 PST 2005

Ruben de Groot wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 12:18:46PM -0500, Gerard Samuel typed:
>

>>I think this is a FreeBSD problem.
>>

>It's not.
>

>>Here is what I have.
>>1.  I removed my initial modification of /etc/syslog.conf, and added ->
>>user.=info                                      /var/log/php.log
>>
>>According to syslog.conf man page, that should mean, any syslog events that
>>come is as LOG_USER, and only LOG_INFO, should be appended to
>>/var/log/php.log
>>2.  I HUPped syslogd.
>>3.  Im using logger to try to add a message to the log file like ->
>>gladiator# logger -s -p user.info test
>>gsam: test
>>
>>But unfortunately, the message "test" doesn't appear in /var/log/php.log OR
>>/var/log/messages.
>>I currently have the file /var/log/php.log chmodded to 777.
>>Im including my syslog.conf file.
>>Can anyone tell me, as to why, Im unable to log these tests?
>>Thanks
>>
>>/etc/syslog.conf
>>----
>># $FreeBSD: src/etc/syslog.conf,v 1.26 2003/04/23 13:08:31 des Exp $
>>#
>>#       Spaces ARE valid field separators in this file. However,
>>#       other *nix-like systems still insist on using tabs as field
>>#       separators. If you are sharing this file between systems, you
>>#       may want to use only tabs as field separators here.
>>#       Consult the syslog.conf(5) manpage.

-- snip --

>>user.=info                                      /var/log/php.log
>>

>This will only log user.info messages coming from the ppp program to
>/var/log/php.log. Either move the "user.=info" line up or finish the
>"!ppp" block with a "!*" line (see manpage).

I went over the man page, and I dont see any references about finishing
program blocks.  So Im taking your word for it.
So after some trial runs, I've appended my syslog.conf like so ->
!*

httpd
user.=info                                      /var/log/php.log

Now I can use the logger command to log to the file now.
Plus, I can log to the file via php's syslog() function.
The only thing bothering me, is the syntax of the program.
If I use "!httpd", it doesn't log to the file.
If anyone else has any input on this, I would be grateful.
Thanks