FreeBSD and SANs

Jonathan Fosburgh syjef at mdanderson.org
Tue Jan 25 06:03:17 PST 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 14:16, Oliver Leitner wrote:
> Ok, im not fully into the programs involved with SAN technology, maybe you
> may give a few names of programs youre used to, so i could look for em?
>
> Greetings
> Oliver Leitner
> Technical Staff
> http://www.shells.at
>
> On Monday 24 January 2005 15:46, Wood, Bradley wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am wanting to access a SAN from FreeBSD. Is there any support for this
> > to you knowledge? If so, can anyone recommend a hardware solution that
> > worked well? Additionally, if anyone is aware of hosting firms that
> > provide and support FreeBSD nodes co-lo managed but also provide per
> > gigabyte pricing on SAN-accessible storage I would be most interested.

He's probably more interested in hardware.  Is the SAN fibre channel, iSCSI? I
believe there is support from FreeBSD for both types, but I have never tried
it with FreeBSD.  Also, you have to look at whether or not the storage server
supports a given OS.  In the case of the IBM Shark there is a list of
supported platforms that you have to select from when adding a new host to
the configuration.  Selecting the wrong type can lead to data access
problems.  On the other hand, some storage servers may not care.  Do careful
research, but remember that probably no storage servers support FreeBSD
officially.
--
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator