Help Please ... Question on cvsupit

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 20:39:00 PST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:14:47 -0500, Andrew Batson <abatson at twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>         I have been trying for the last few days to figure out how to update
> the ports collection via the cvsup process. I have two different books on
> FreeBSD version 5.x and both say to use this "cvsupit" program but I cannot
> find it any where. I have FreeBSD release 5.3 install and created a user
> account that I can "su" in. I would like to be able to update the ports
> collections and FreeBSD source so that I can custom compile various ports
> and FreeBSD. Does any one have any idea where the "cvsupit" program is. I
> have tired installing "cvsup-16.1h" and "cvsup-without-gui" via both
> pkg_add, sysinstall, and the ports make/install process but I still cannot
> find this "cvsupit" program.
>
>         Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I am still learning FreeBSD so I
> probably missing something simple some where?

I have not heard of cvsupit, but I do know that cvsup does what you
are looking for.  This is the best place to get info on that, and
there are good walk through's as well:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

generally speaking, after reading the link above, copy one of the
files located in:

/usr/share/examples/cvsup/

to /etc or /usr/local/etc or some-such-place, edit it as needed and run:

$ cvsup /etc/standard-supfile

for example.

HTH

-pete