missing /dev/bktr etc on FreeBSD-5.3-STABLE

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Mon Jan 24 18:32:13 PST 2005

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 02:34, carlo.matteotti at bluewin.ch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to make my TV-card work on my box, using FBSD-5.3-STABLE.
>
> For this I put the following lines in my Kernel config. file:
> device		bktr
> device		iicbus
> device		iicbb
> device		smbus
>
> compiled the new kernel, installed it and rebooted. But dmesg shows nothing
> corresponding to these lines nor are the devices present in /dev/
>
> Can anybody give me an idea how to get to problem solved ??

I have this in my /etc/devfs.conf:

perm    cd0     0660
perm    cd1     0660
perm    da0s1   0660
perm    da1s1   0660
perm    xpt0    0660
perm    xpt1    0660
perm    pass0   0660
perm    pass1   0660
perm    pass2   0660
perm    pass3   0660
perm    lpt0    0660
perm    bktr0   0660
perm    tuner0  0660
perm    cuaa0   0660

Everyting up to lpt is for using atacam functionality (e.g. CD burning).
Bktr and tuner are for the capture card (I have an old Miro Bt848).

And the /boot/loader.conf has:
sound_load="YES"
snd_emu10k1_load="YES"
nvidia_load="YES"
bktr_load="YES"
linux_load="YES"

So here I load the bktr module upon booting. I don't use any special kernel
config for bktr (I have other options for other hardware).

As far as detecting your card, try pciconf -l or -lv. Also dmesg can show you
what it has detected and done so far. My card because it's so old needs some
PnP probing but even that works. Kldstat shows which modules are loaded.

HTH

Dan