sshd port number ?

Colin Alston karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net
Mon Jan 24 13:15:54 PST 2005

Hexren wrote:

>> How does that make sshd less secure if its on a port above
>> 1024 ?
>If ssh ever goes down, a user could start his own compromised
>version of ssh and do some nasty stuff. The same user could not do
>that if the connecting side would expect sshd to be on a privileged
>port because the system ensures that only procs running with superuser
>privileges can bind to a privileged port.

And to note, ports <1024 are what we reffer to as "privileged ports", ie
- only root, or processes running as root, can open/close/mess them.

--
Colin Alston <karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net>

About the use of language:
  "It is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe.  It is
  equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead."
   -- E.W.Dijkstra, 18th June 1975. (Perl did not exist at the time.)