JDK 1.5 and 5.3

Andrew Hall halla3 at corp.earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 10:26:53 PST 2005

Greetings,

I have a few questions about jdk and 5.3.

1. If one does a src compile, it requires that the linux-sun-jdk to be
installed to bootstrap the compile of native jdk.

Why would freebsd not use a binary version of it's own native jdk to
bootstrap itself?  If that's not feasible, then why would the jdk port
not immediately remove all the linux crap that it installs if its not
needed?  If something is only temporary, then it should be removed
immediately after use right :)?

2. Where did the browser plugin go?  In 1.3 and 1.4 I symlinked
/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so to what ever jdk I
was using.  For example:

/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
/usr/local/jdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

But in 1.5 I don't see this .so, nor does the plugin directory even
exist.  Is there a new way I am not aware of?

3. Since the linux jdk is not necessary, is there an easy way to get a
list of everything that was installed as the req for the native jdk
compile so I may remove it all (and its deps)?

Thank you,

Andrew