/var is lack of space!!

John john at starfire.mn.org
Mon Jan 24 08:12:56 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:50:38AM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:

> John writes:
>
> >  This is a good way to find out "where" the storage is being used:
> >  cd /var ; du -s * | sort -nr | more
> >  That will give you a list, sorted from most storage to least, of
> >  each directory (or file) at the /var level.  You can then choose
> >  to descend into one of those, and run the command again, to drill
> >  deeper.
>
> 	Technical notes:
> 	1) given you're already at /var, the "*" is superfluous.

No, it's not your technical notes are WRONG, you've not understood
my point.  With the "-s" option and not the *, you'd only get the
total usage for the filesystem, and he already knows that from the
"df".

> 	2) if you omit the -s, you get the "drilling down" for free:

You've entirely missed my point.  Read on...

> 47100   ./db
> 40126   ./db/pkg
> 13160   ./log
> 10738   ./log/samba

I find this hard to read, you've done a great job of illustrating my point.
When looking at this, you need to remember that the ./db 47100 contains
the ./db/pkg 40126 - you can't add up that column of numbers to see what
part of the total filesystem is in use.

I'm not saying my way is the only way, but at least I'm not telling
you your way is wrong without understanding it.  I find my method
useful, so I shared it - if he doesn't want to use it, he doesn't have to.
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG