FreeBSD 5.3 I/O Performance / Linux 2.6.10

Oliver Fuchs oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de
Sun Jan 23 21:18:18 PST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Chris wrote:

> Oliver Fuchs wrote:
> >On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Nick Pavlica wrote:
> >

> >>All,
> >> This post is not about BSD VS. Linux and should not be taken that
> >>way.  I think that "Flame Wars/Engineer Wars" are  waste of time and
> >>energy.  I was surprised by my test results and didn't want to take
> >>FBSD out of the loop just yet.  There may be flaws in my testing that
> >>have led me to inaccurate results.  I didn't share the testing details
> >>in the original mail because of time constraints, and the notes are
> >>fairly lengthy.  I will add my notes to this mail so that there is a
> >>better understanding of what tests I performed, and their results.
> >>It's important to note that I did not tweak any of the default
> >>settings of the OS or DB.  The notes should be generally self
> >>explanatory, but will be more that happy to clarify any questions that
> >>you have.  As a side note, I chose the email address linicks because
> >>by name is Nick, and thought it was a fun play on words.  I appreciate
> >>all of your feedback, so that I can better understand the differences
> >>in these great operating systems and communities.
> >>
> >>Thanks Again!
> >>--Nick Pavlica
> >>
> >>"OK, The testing notes already" :)
> >

> >Hi,
> >please put your test results on a web page so that everyone who is
> >interested can look them up and everyone who is not interested does not
> >have
> >to pay for receiving such a long mail.
> >
> >You are using different versions of postgresql?
> >Did you set up the three systems with the same partitioning or did you set
> >up all three on one harddrive?
> >What is the meaning of this email: regarding your test FreeBSD is not as
> >fast as the other OSes - so what do you want to know? I do not get it.
> >
> >Oliver
>
> In addition, was on OS running a window manager and the other not? Was
> one running ssh and the other not, was FBSD running Linux emu? ... Was
> one running (insert program) and the other not...

In addition to this:
- how often did you run your test
- what processes/daemons else where running
- what is the contents of /etc/fstab
- what is the contents of /etc/login.conf
- what shell was used
- what user was used
- ... .

> When you run each side by side, process for process, thread for thread,
> version for version - nothing extra on one over the other, then post
> your results.
>
> Funny thing about polls/tests/ etc. the results can be portrayed to
> reflect one biased point of view over another.
>
> I apologize for my cynicism - but I don't put a heck of a lot of faith
> in any type of poll (in your case, a test) that can be tainted by the
> slightest bit of prejudice.

Besides this - the speed is only one aspect when it comes to choose a OS.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit