Cheap, reliable mass storage

markzero mark at darklogik.org
Sun Jan 23 15:01:40 PST 2005

Hi, this is possibly the most open question posted here to date. :)

I'm looking to build/buy a large, low-access, long term storage
solution for my home. I'm a musician primarily so my files mostly
consist of lumps of audio. Ideally, I would like to be able to rsync
files to it, so I think I'd probably be looking at a cheap old box
with a stack of large hard disks and some kind of RAID controller, but
can anybody suggest anything better?

To clarify, I'm looking for long-term reliability, low cost and large
space rather than high performance. I have a budget of around $600-900
to spend but I would not have to buy a PC as I have plenty of old
machines (average spec: Intel P3 700mhz) laying around that would
probably be up to the job.

Obviously, I'd like it to be running FreeBSD...

All suggestions welcome!

Mark