KDE issues after recent portupgrade

Michael C. Shultz reso3w83 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 23 08:44:52 PST 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 08:40 am, you wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 08:30 -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > To not uninstall them, but to properly upgrade your installed ports
> > with
> > sysutils/portmanager.
>
> I'd tried with portupgrade, but it seems that is what caused the most
> recent issues.  I've not used portmanager before.  Would that be a
> better alternative to portupgrade?

Yes. portupgrade screws up the port registration files when you run
pkgdb -F.  These are the files in /var/db/pkg/{portname}/+CONTENTS

Portmanager does not mess with the registration files and can usually
straighten out the damage caused by pkgdb -F. As portmanager runs it
gives you good feedback on what it is doing and why, and if you
disagree or just question something it is perfectly safe to ctrl-C out
of it.  When start again and it will just pick up from when you left
off.

-Mike