port 445 ?

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Sun Jan 23 07:15:13 PST 2005

At 10:01 AM 1/23/2005, faisal gillani wrote:
>i use samba on my freebsd server to share files , i dont use any active
>directory connectivity still the port
>"445/tcp    open        microsoft-ds" is open , i read is some where that
>this port should be close as it is dangerous to the server , is this true ?

Hi Faisal,

Are you running the newest Samba? I think this is relatively new because I
run fbsd 4.8 and rh 9, both have samba but fbsd is running the new 3.0.10
and rh is running an older 2.x version. Here are my (persistent)
connections on my win xp gateway:

System:4        TCP     delliver:3033   penguin:netbios-ssn     ESTABLISHED

System:4        TCP     delliver:3034   swamisalami:microsoft-ds
ESTABLISHED

Notice that the connection is to netbios-ssn on the rh box running samba
2.x, but to microsoft-ds which afaik is port 445 for the fbsd box running
samba 3.0.10. TBH I don't know which port is being kept open for rh, so
maybe this is of no help at all.

Well it helps me a little to repeat the bit that I do know. :)

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal