What Port Installs /usr/local/lib/libiconv.la?

Matt Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Sat Jan 22 09:40:28 PST 2005

> On 1/21/2005 5:55 PM Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 02:03:12PM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> >
> >>I'm attempting to upgrade the libiconv port from 1.9.1 to 1.9.2 but keep
> >>getting this error:
> >>
> >>libtool15: link: cannot find the library `/usr/local/lib/libiconv.la'
> >>
> >>A 'ls' of /usr/local/lib confirms this file doesn't exist.  What port
> >>should I install to get this file?  Seems like it is part of this port,
> >>as I see several references to it in the build output.  However I don't
> >>see any error regarding it other than the one above.  My complete build
> >>output can be viewed here:
> >>
> >>http://drew.mykitchentable.net/libiconv.log
> >
> >I'd guess something is wrong with your libtool installation.  Try
> >reinstalling the libtool15 port.
> >
> I thought that too.  Prior to posting, I had libtool13, 14, and 15
> installed.  I removed all of them and then installed 15 from ports.  Yet
> the error persists.  It is interesting that I could install libiconv
> from packages without error.  But even after that, I still did not have
> /usr/local/lib/libiconv.la.  Also after installing libiconv from a
> package, 'portupgrade -f libiconv' ends with the error I described above.

At one time, it was -ports policy to not install .la files, although I can't
see any reference to that in the current porters-handbook.

If that is still true, I would have to say that libiconv is in error by
installing such a file (see the patches included in
converters/libiconv/files -- the file is definitely installed).  Not sure
why it doesn't get installed in your case and breaks your subsequent
upgrade, however.

--
Matt Emmerton