Cannot connect to printer...

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Sat Jan 22 08:38:24 PST 2005

On Jan 22 at 16:40, Kiffin Gish responded:

>> On Jan 22 at 12:27, Kiffin Gish launched this into the bitstream:
>>
>>> I have read the manual carefully, looked in the forums and tried
> everything,
>>> but for the life of me I just cannot get my printer to work under
> FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> Actually my setup is nothing complicated or so you would think. I have
> an HP
>>> Deskjet 720C connected to my parallel printer port. It workes just fine
>>> under Windows so I know that the hardware, cables etc. are fine.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> Well, I'm a newbie myself, but...
>> I think some more details might be helpful:
>> Are you sharing (or intending to share) your printers amongst Windows
>> clients? If so, Samba is necessary, as is swat. (uncomment the swat line
>> in inetd.conf) also you may (or may not since apprently this is a hot
>> issue) may wish to use Cups.
>> You could also manage much of this process from within Webmin if you
>> have it installed - it's a great tool, I wouldn't be without it. I don't
>> say webmin is a substitute for the command line, but a terrific adjunct
>> to it. /usr/ports/sysutils/webmin takes your right to it. Getting samba
>> up and running is fairly trivial if you do it all (or mostly) from
>> webmin, also webmin has a swat interface!!
>> Concerning the specific printer model, well I just don't know. You would
>> have to do some reading on the CUPS help page.
>>
>> If you do want to use cups, cupsd has to be running.
>> At that point you can play with some cups
>> settings on the web based admin page (see below). I suggest starting
>> with webmin first and enable stuff from there onwards in stages.
>>
>> Localhost URL's for various www-based admin interfaces:
>>
>> Webmin (unless you configure it differently) defaults to:
>> http://localhost:10000
>> or, if you have SSL up and running at
>> https://localhost:10000
>>
>> Swat ([S]amba [W]eb [A]dministration [T]ool) - once enabled - is
>> available at:http://localhost:901
>>
>> CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) is available at:
>> http://localhost:631
>>
>> Ports you may care to install:
>> Webmin: /usr/ports/sysutils/webmin
>> Samba:  /usr/ports/net/samba3
>>
>> These are some suggestions only, and obviously predicated on the
>> assumption you want to enable printing via Samba/CUPS. Should you wish
>> to approach the matter from a Unix-only perspective, YMMV.
>
> Like I said, this is just my laptop connected to a printer via the parallel
> port.
>
> Nothing to do with Windows, Samba nor a web server.
>
> I'll be happy enough if I can get the basics up and running.

Please don't top post. I adjusted it so that the archives will reflect
the generally accepted form
Unfortunately I gotta recuse myself at this point. I don't know how to
do what it is you seek. That said though if anyone *does* know, I'll be
"lurking 'n learning" :-)

-Colin