Which Way to Partition.

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Jan 21 20:59:08 PST 2005

On Jan 21, 2005, at 19:32, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Friday, 21 January 2005 at 22:01:14 -0500, Peterhin wrote:
>> I am new to FreeBSD, and have only used Linux for less than a year.
>>
>> I have read the "Handbook", also "FreeBSD An open-source system for
>> your
>> personal computer", they both suggest that I do a standard
>> installation,
>> whereas in "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, his suggestion is to
>> do the
>> custom installation.
>> Any suggestions as to which way to go.?
>
> I recommend the custom installation.  I also say why.

Well, I am looking at the 3rd Edition page 71 where it appears you
recommend the custom and the novice installations.  The only real
comment about the custom installation is that it takes you back to the
top menu after each step.  I have installed may copies of versions
2,3,4, and not 5 and don't see what the advantage of that might be.
The only reason that comes to mind is if you botch something you can go
back and redo it.  That doesn't seem like much of a big deal to me,
but...