Unattended 5.3 install post-configuration problem.

David Robillard david.robillard at notarius.com
Fri Jan 21 12:39:58 PST 2005

Hello everyone,

I've setup an unattended automatic FreeBSD-5.3 install server. Clients
boot via PXE and receive the OS in around 15 minutes using a
sysinstall(8) script.

I need to perfom post-install configuration, so I wrote a
post_install.sh shell script which is called at the end of the
sysinstall(8) script.

My problem is that I can't get my post-install script to modify
rc.conf(5) because sysinstall(8) re-writes the file and removes
my configurations (all lines from rc.conf(5) starts with `#REMOVE' ).

The sysinstall(8) man page only says:

This utility may edit the contents of /etc/rc.conf, /etc/hosts, and
     /etc/resolv.conf as necessary to reflect changes in the network
	configuration.

How can I prevent or circumvent this "feature" of sysinstall???

Any help would be really appreciated.

Here are the files:

# From sysinstall(8) install.cfg:
#
command=/stand/post_install.sh
system

# From /stand/post_install.sh
#
cat <<- "END" > /tmp/a
        # rc.conf
        #
        # Please make all changes to this file, not to
/etc/defaults/rc.conf.
        # This file now contains just the overrides from
/etc/defaults/rc.conf.
        #
        # David Robillard, December 13th, 2004

        check_quotas="YES"              # Check quotas.
        hostname="hostname.domain.com"  # Hostname.
        ifconfig_bge0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"  #
Configure NIC bge0.
        keyrate="normal"                # Set normal keyboard
repeatrate.
        nisdomainname="NO"              # We don't run NIS.
        saver="blank"                   # Blank screen when idle.
        scrnmap="NO"                    # Screen map in
/usr/share/syscons/scrnmaps/*
        sshd_enable="YES"               # Start sshd(8).
        usbd_enable="YES"               # Start usbd(8).
        tcp_drop_synfin="YES"           # Prevent OS finger printing.
        sendmail_enable="NO"            # Bind sendmail(8) to locahost
only.
        syslogd_enable="YES"            # Start syslogd(8).
        syslogd_flags="-ss"             # Receive syslogd(8) from local
machine only.
        inetd_enable="NO"               # Don't run inetd(8).
        icmp_drop_redirect="YES"        # Drop ICMP redirect.
        icmp_log_redirect="YES"         # Log dropped ICMP redirect.
        clear_tmp_enable="YES"          # Clear /tmp at startup.
        update_motd="NO"                # Don't update motd(5) at
startup.

        # EOF
END

mv /tmp/a /root/rc.conf