Fwd: "Cannot dump. No dump device defined" while using sysinstall

Ben Salem benfsalem at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 09:59:22 PST 2005

Ben Salem <benfsalem at yahoo.com> wrote:Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:40:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Ben Salem
To: freebsd-doc at freebsd.org
Subject: "Cannot dump. No dump device defined" while using sysinstall

After booting w/ floppies, installation with
5.3-RELEASE
fails in /stand/sysinstall when using fdisk, or
anything else besides the sysinstall menu it seems. I
don't think it's specific to fdisk though. Im
installing on an AMD-k6 200mhz(intel mobo w/ award
bios), w/64mb ram, s3-virge pci vid-card, and a
realtek isa ethernet card.

This is the full output of the error message:
panic: page fault
Uptime: 1h39m46s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the
console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot,
--> or switch off the system now.
I left the sysinstall menu on the second time for over
an hour to see if it was caused by me doing things or
not. It definetly only does it when Im trying to
continue with the installation (fdisk, label editor,
an actual funtion, not just strolling through the
menu.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ben Salem