Error installing print/latex

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Jan 21 09:55:12 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:52:27AM -0700, Aaron Dalton wrote:
> Erik Trulsson wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:14:57AM -0700, Aaron Dalton wrote:
> >
> >>When doing a make on print/latex I get the following error:
> >>
> >>===>   Compressing manual pages for tex-3.14159_2
> >>===>   Registering installation for tex-3.14159_2
> >>===>   Returning to build of latex2e-2003.12_1
> >>===>  Configuring for latex2e-2003.12_1
> >>===>  Building for latex2e-2003.12_1
> >>! I can't read tex.pool; bad path?
> >>*** Error code 1
> >>Stop in /usr/ports/print/latex.
> >>
> >>I am sure this is some sort of path thing because tex.pool indeed exists
> >>at /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/tex.pool; however, I have been unable
> >>to figure out what I need to change where to make it work.
> >>
> >>I'm running 5.2.1-RELEASE.  Any help you could provide would be most
> >>appreciated.  Thank you for your time!
> >

> >Is there some particular reason why you must use print/latex ?
> >If there is not I would suggest that you use print/teTeX instead.
> >It is probably more up to date and is what most people use for
> >TeX-related stuff.
> >

> Well I've only ever used LaTeX.  Perhaps I don't need it, but I'm not
> sure.  I am unfamiliar with the specific differences between plain TeX
> and the LaTeX2e macros.

I have not used plain TeX myself, but I have got the strong impression
that it is PITA. Using the LaTeX macros makes life much easier (which
is why very few people use plain TeX, while many people like LaTeX.)

>  I use Miktex on my windows box and have always
> used LaTeX reference materials for composing my documents.  LaTeX used
> to be installed on this BSD box and I don't recall having any problems
> back then (it was installed as a part of print/lilypond).  Well, now
> that I look through lilypond's Makefile, it appears that latex is a part
> of print/teTeX?  *is a little confused*  I will try installing that instead.

print/teTeX  does indeed include the LaTeX macros (as well as a whole
bunch of other TeX-stuff.)
I am fairly sure that print/teTeX includes everything useful that
print/latex does and then some.

> What are the differences between print/latex and print/teTeX?  Why are
> there two ports?

It seems to be simply two different ways of package TeX + various macro
packages.

I don't know why both exist. Historical reasons probably.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se