port update problem - newbie

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Fri Jan 21 09:24:05 PST 2005

saravanan ganapathy wrote:
> Since I am very new to freebsd, I am not sure abt the
> ports collections which I don't want.
>
> I am trying to use freebsd for web hosting servers.Can
> you list the ports which are not useful for servers?

This is a tough question, if you now have a fully updated ports tree and
you have sufficient diskspace then let it be that way. As you get things
up running you'll get a feel of what you don't want/need.

It is anoying if you have to wait for the update to complete, if you
have flatrate connection, you may consider a cronjob to update the ports
tree for you, say once a week or once a month.

If you are newbie, then you might prefer not to update the ports tree so
often, new ports may require other ports to be updated that are depended
on by yet other ports. This can be a showblocker first time you stumple
into it. So, let go with it for a while and get comfy with the OS.

> How to use refuse file?

See cvsup man page

Cheers Erik

--