My computer keeps crashing

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Fri Jan 21 07:31:16 PST 2005

Jason Henson wrote:
> On 01/20/05 19:06:22, cali wrote:
>
>> If this is the wrong mailing list, I apologise, suggestions to a more
>> appropriate mailing list will be appreciated.
>>
>> Reasonably recently I upgraded my hardware to the following:
>>
>> Soltek SL-NV400-64 "Purple
>> Ray" (Socket A) Motherboard
>>
>> AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3200+
>> 400FSB (Socket A) CPU - OEM
>>
>> Asus DRW-0402P DVD-R/RW -
>> Retail
>>
>> Adata 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS 2.5
>> Adata 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS 2.5
>>
>> Zalman Flower CNPS6000-Cu
>> Silent Socket A CPU Cooler -
>>
>> Antec Sonata Piano Black
>> Quiet Case - 380W TruePower
>> Silent PSU
>>
>> Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19''
>> Perfectly Flat CRT Monitor -
>> Black/Silver
>>
>> Geforce FX 5200 graphics card
>>
>> IBM 60GB HD
>>
>> Western Digital 160GB HD
>>
>> Sometimes when I run CPU intensive applications  the system will
>> crash at seemingly unpredictable times, I have to hard reset the
>> machine as it
>> is completely unresponsive, I was running an experiment in console
>> mode and it showed me the kernel panic:
>>

> With those uptimes I would say your heat sink and fan(hsf) is to
> blame.   The old idea about amds running hot is kind of crap, any cpu
> will run  hot if not installed correctly or overclocked.  You got that
> white  stuff between the cpu and hsf?

I disagree (as an owner of one Athlon) The CPU came with it's own fan
etc. Bios settings (voltage etc) where they should be - but still runs
hot. In fact so much so that when compiling or make world, freeze
happens. It's just a known fact that AMD's runs hot. I don't know if
that's by design or not - nonetheless, I love mine (big old box fan and
all).

--
Best regards,
Chris