Xmms FreeBSD and buzzing or skipping sound

Grégory Nou gregorynou at altern.org
Fri Jan 21 04:29:53 PST 2005

Jason Henson a écrit :

> On 01/20/05 20:57:12, Derek wrote:
>
>> Collin McClendon wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed for quite some time (at least on 5.x even before -
>>> CURRENT) that if I'm unzipping or tarring a file that it is enough
>>> to make xmms play mp3s with intermittent buzzing. I have a fairly
>>> fast machine, dual athlon 1.53 Ghz with 1 GB of ram and a fully
>>> scsi  setup, 4 10K maxtors in a Raid 0 stripe set.
>>

>> Did you ever find a solution to this Collin?
>>
>> I've got a 5.3-STABLE SMP machine, with a promise RAID controller,
>> RAID1, with snd_emu10k1.ko, and I get the same results...  Re-nicing
>> xmms doesn't help either...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Derek
>>

> Could this be a problem of resource hoging on the pci bus?  Are the
> devices on different irqs?
>
> I just tried it without problem, but it was a small file.  I have a
> single 2ghz athlon with builtin audio and a single ide drive.

I have this problem too.
It happens with any mp3 player or listening to an icecast stream, but
not with mplayer when looking at a divx. I looked at the irqs, and have
uhci2 and my pcm0 on the same irq. However, this problems occurs only
after 3 or 4 hours of uptime, generally.
Should I try to change my irqs ? and if positive, how do I do this ? in
the bios ? (note : I have also uhci1 on the same irq than vr0, and it
makes my computer crash at the end of the shutdown, when using the GDM
to shutdown)