FreeBSD 5.3 BuildKernel Error

Lynn Comiskey thexenigmax666 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 22:47:01 PST 2005

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf;
PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/games:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
  config  -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/mavnj1  /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/mavnj1
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src.

Working with FreeBSD 5.3 by the way.

Basically, I ran the make buildworld and got all the newest source files
that went fine.  Then I went ahead and copied the GENERIC Kernel and called
it mavnj1.  I made the appropriate adjustments to it basicaly adding in

options IPFILTER
options IPFILTER_LOG

and

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO               # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

I also did this...

machine         i386
#cpu             I486_CPU
#cpu             I586_CPU
cpu               I686_CPU
ident             mavnj1
maxusers       0

Those were the only changes I made to the Kernel config.  I then saved it
and cd /usr/src and did the make buildkernel and got the error stated above.

My System Configuration is a
Dual MP's 2000
1 GB RAM
80 GB HD (Western Digital 7200 RPM w/ 8 MB Cache)
Motherboard: GA-7DPXDW
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Server/Products/Products_ServerBoard_GA-7DPXDW.htm

Now.. when I deleted out the SMP part the make buildkernel and make
installkernel runs fine, but then it does not recongnize my system as a Dual
CPU System just a Single.

Anyone know how I can overcome this error and enable Dual CPU on my system
with FreeBSD 5.3.  Or does anyone know a build of BSD I can try that will
work with Dual AMD MP's and my motherboard.