/usr/local/etc/rc.d vs /etc/rc.conf question

Gregor Mosheh stigmata_blackangel at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 08:33:51 PST 2005

> >> On my 4.10 box, there is a mysql-server script in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> >> and nothing
> >> in /etc/rc.conf, yet mysql-server starts up a
> boot time.
> >> Why?

(the following is true for 4.x)

Check the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file
You'll see in there that the default setting for
local_startup is "/usr/local/etc/rc.d
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d"

So (as someone else pointed out) if you don't want
MySQL to start up, and its script is in one of those
default directories, then you'll need to disable that
script somehow. Either rename it to not have a .sh
extension, or chmod it so it's not executable.