FreeBSD I LOVE YOU

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 19 19:30:29 PST 2005

Giorgos Keramidas writes:

GK> I've seen Windows machines "lose" CD-ROM or floppy drives, on perfectly
GK> working systems.  You may find that booting the installation CD-ROM of
GK> some FreeBSD version locates the floppy drive just fine.

The problem is external to Windows.  The machine won't even boot off a
diskette.  The floppy drive makes the usual noises as the BIOS goes
through its paces, but then the BIOS says that the diskette isn't there.
It's frustrating.  The machine is so old and has been so reliable that I
don't remember much about configuring the BIOS, and I have no idea where
the documentation is now.  It _seems_ like the diskette drive may have a
problem, but I'm not sure.

GK> Your best choise may be to install by physically moving the disk to an
GK> other system.  Then you can return the disk to the Vectra system and let
GK> it boot.

No other systems available currently, alas.  And this machine has SCSI
drives; the other machines have cheaper IDE or SATA drives.

--
Anthony