Connection via proxy

Hexren me at hexren.net
Wed Jan 19 15:46:28 PST 2005

MM> the laptop is a dual boot running windows XP on one
MM> slice and Freebsd 5.3 on another slice.

MM> I tried pinging the proxy server but got this error
MM> message

MM> can't resolve proxy.uvi.edu  host name look up failure
MM> proxy.uvi.edu being the name of the proxy server

MM> --- Hexren <me at hexren.net> wrote:

>> MM> Can you identify some other tests as well I
>> could
>> MM> possible run other than pinging as I am going to
>> have
>> MM> to reboot on each occurence to try see if
>> freebsd can
>> MM> see that server and connect to it

>> Your message doesn't parse. Why do you have to
>> reboot the machine ? Each
>> time ?
>> I just wanted to know, if at the point where mozilla
>> says it
>> can't find the proxy you can ping the proxy using
>> DNS name or IP.
>>
>> Regards (I really should look up some nice way to
>> finish a mail in
>> english)
>>
>> Hexren

I would guess that you haven't configured DNS under FreeBSD.

Lookup the nameserver you use with WinXP. (Start->Run type "cmd" in
the shell opening type "ipconfig /all")

Then insert that DNS server into your /etc/resolv.conf under FreeBSD
The line should look like
"nameserver <insert ip of your nameserver here>"

Hexren