Printer fails to work after upgrade to 5.3

Ned Harrison nedsmailbox2 at cox.net
Tue Jan 18 16:14:22 PST 2005

>Fo you have cups-pstoraster?
>
>Also, have you tried gimp-print? The drivers are excellent and work
>extremely well with cups, especially when you use something like .
>kprinter --stdin instead of lpr. That way, you have a ton of
>configuration options that you can easily change for each file that you
>print.

I have cups-pstoraster-7.07_3 and gimp-print-4.2.7_1.  The settings for
gimp-print are still there, I can see them when I access cups via
http:/localhost:631.

I think I might have wiped out a necessary script when I used mergemaster
after my last upgrade.  FreeBSD is very new to me so I took the defaults as
much as possible while running mergemaster.  (I inadvertently wiped out all
my ordinary users.  :-) Though I did catch my firewall!  Live and learn.)

I also removed packages for the Gnome desktop which I initially installed but
decided I prefer to use KDE.  Not all of them though, I saved those which
other packages seamed dependent on.  Basicly I removed those packages which
did not upgrade and were not dependencies for other packages and were not
applications which I intended to use.  I might have wiped out something
there.

Brain dead newbie question, is there a way to send a file to print via cups
through the command line?  That might give me an error message to track.

Thanks