Detecting CD devices

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 18 15:45:39 PST 2005

I've been working to get my CD-RW and DVD drives seen on my FBSD
5.3-STABLE box and mountable by a normal user account.  I've succeeded
with a minor glitch or two.  I can mount the devices and can play DVDs
and burn using k3b, but...

I can't use SoundJuicer and cdbakeoven does not detect the devices!  Per
posts I'd seen on this list and on a BSD forum, I've got the following
in /etc/devfs.conf:

salamander# cat /etc/devfs.conf
#  Copyright (c) 2003 The FreeBSD Project
#  All rights reserved.
#
#  Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
#  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
#  are met:
#  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
the
#     documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.
#
#  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS''
AND
#  ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
#  IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE
#  ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE
#  FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL
#  DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE
GOODS
#  OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
#  HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
STRICT
#  LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY
WAY
#  OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
OF
#  SUCH DAMAGE.
#
#  $FreeBSD: src/etc/devfs.conf,v 1.2 2004/06/06 11:46:27 schweikh Exp $

# These are examples of how to configure devices using /etc/rc.d/devfs.
# The first parameter is always the action to take, the second is always
the
# existing device created by devfs, and the last is what you want to
change.
# The name of the action is only significant to the first unique
character.
#
# Examples:

# Historically X depended on this, but version 4.3.0 doesn't seem to
anymore
#link   ttyv0   vga

# Commonly used by many ports
link    acd0    cdrom
link    acd0    dvd
perm    acd0    0666

# Allow a user in the wheel group to query the smb0 device
#perm   smb0    0660

# Allow members of group operator to cat things to the speaker
#own    speaker root:operator
#perm   speaker 0660

# Used to get k3b working properly
perm xpt0 0666
perm pass0 0666
perm pass1 0666
perm pass2 0666
perm pass3 0666
perm cd0 0666
perm cd1 0666

But is perm cd0 0666 *AND* perm acd0 0666 redundant?  Do I need the cd0
entry?  My /etc/fstab is as follows:

salamander# cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0
0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1
1
/dev/ad0s1d             /home           ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/ad0s1e             /tmp            ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0
0
/dev/acd1               /cdrom1         cd9660  ro,noauto       0
0
/dev/da0s1              /mnt/usb        msdos   rw,noauto       0
0
linuxproc               /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw         0
0

Thanks for the help.

--
Cheers,
Trey

The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with
composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he
does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper.
- Aristotle

6:42PM up 1 day, 8 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0.08, 0.08, 0.07
FreeBSD salamander.thesizemores.net 5.3-STABLE i386