slrn and mutt with language support

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Jan 18 10:14:42 PST 2005

On 2005-01-18 09:38, sgnezdov at sergei.homeunix.org wrote:
> I've read about Localization and I plan to do it, but I have a
> couple general questions.
>
> In 99% of the time I am using English.  All I want is to be able to
> read Russian messages in slrn and mutt.  I might want to type a
> Russian message in Emacs or slrn.  The ssh client is FreeBSD ssh or
> Windows PuTTY.

I don't know about slrn, as I don't use it (Emacs & Gnus is my news
reader of choise).

I can assure you that Mutt handles charsets fine though.  My locale
environment settings are:

	% env | egrep 'LANG|LC_' | sort
	LANG=C
	LC_COLLATE=el_GR.ISO8859-7
	LC_CTYPE=el_GR.ISO8859-7
	%

My .muttrc file includes:

	% grep charset .muttrc
	# my terminal can show all characters of this charset
	set charset="greek"
	# what different charsets I will use when sending
	set send_charset="US-ASCII:ISO-8859-1:ISO-8859-7:UTF-8"
	%

That's all that is necessary to read email messages in Greek and post
in US-ASCII or Greek (when 8-bit characters appear in the message).

- Giorgos