chmod: Operation not permitted

Karol Kwiatkowski freebsd at orchid.homeunix.org
Tue Jan 18 07:20:54 PST 2005

Gardner Bell wrote:
> After rebuilding world last night I can no longer chmod some system
> binaries that I don't need.  When attemtping to do so I get a permission denied.
> root at Spartan# chmod 000 /bin/rcp
> chmod: /bin/rcp: Operation not permitted.
>
> root at spartan# chmod 000 /bin/rlogin
> chmod: /bin/rlogin: Operation not permitted
>
> The only binaries this seems to be happening with are the ones used
> for remote operations.  Ie: rcp, rlogin, rsh, opieinfo, etc.  I
> followed the complete instructions in the handbook when rebuilding
> world so I don't think that could be the problem.  But I did run the
> following after the system booted correctly.

# ls -lo /bin/rcp
-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  schg 18388 Jan 10 22:49 /bin/rcp

     notice "schg" up here ^^^^

Check chlags(1) manpage for more information.

Oh, btw. "which rlogin" gives me "/usr/bin/rlogin" on 5.3-RELEASE. Is
that a typo in your message?

Regards,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>