chmod: Operation not permitted

Gardner Bell gbell72 at rogers.com
Tue Jan 18 07:01:31 PST 2005

After rebuilding world last night I can no longer chmod some system
binaries that I don't need.  When attemtping to do so I get a permission denied.
root at Spartan# chmod 000 /bin/rcp
chmod: /bin/rcp: Operation not permitted.

root at spartan# chmod 000 /bin/rlogin
chmod: /bin/rlogin: Operation not permitted

The only binaries this seems to be happening with are the ones used
for remote operations.  Ie: rcp, rlogin, rsh, opieinfo, etc.  I
followed the complete instructions in the handbook when rebuilding
world so I don't think that could be the problem.  But I did run the
following after the system booted correctly.

# cd /usr/obj
# chflags -R noschg *
# rm -rf *

Could this be the problem?  The output of uname is 5.3-RELEASE-p5 and
I am running in kernel.securelevel=1.

root at spartan# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 5(operator)

These are the flags I used in make.conf to build world.
CPUTYPE=i686
CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe
MAKESHELL?=sh
NO_DYNAMICROOT=true
NOPROFILE=true
NO_BIND=true

If any further information is needed let me know.  Thanks for your
help.

Regards
Gardner