Tab to Auto-Complete + ....

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Tue Jan 18 02:55:17 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:30:52PM +1000, Warren wrote:
> What is need for me to add/do in order for the pressing of Tab to autcomplete
> a name to work?  It works fine in root .. also when i press the up or down
> arrow keys it dosent bring up the previous command issued ...
>
> im using FreeBSD5.3-STABLE

What shell are you using?  I guess you haven't installed any shells from
ports yet, and are using the system default, /bin/sh, which doesn't
support autocomplete or command history.  The root shell is csh, which
does have such things.  So, either set your user's shell to be
/bin/tcsh, or install one of the several shells in ports.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \