Tab to Auto-Complete + ....

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Tue Jan 18 02:45:00 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:00, Warren wrote:
> What is need for me to add/do in order for the pressing of Tab to
> autcomplete a name to work?  It works fine in root .. also when i press the
> up or down arrow keys it dosent bring up the previous command issued ...
>
> im using FreeBSD5.3-STABLE

What shell are you using? It sounds like you might be using /bin/sh, the
Bourne shell, which doesn't support those functions, but is the default for
non-root accounts.
The root account by default uses /bin/csh (actually the tcsh) which does what
you want. So all you need to do is change the chell of your user.
The easiest way is to login as your user & type chsh
On the line than starts with Shell:, change /bin/sh to /bin/csh
Save the changes and then logout & login again & you should have command line
completion & job history.
To make auto-completion better, edit the file .cshrc in your home directory
and add the line
autolist = ambigous
after the set prompt =  line.

Alternatively, you could install & use another shell like bash or ksh...

Cheers,
--
Ian

GPG Key: http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/imoore/imoore.asc