atapicam error message

Galanaki, Dimitrios galanaki at mail.physics.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 17 22:53:32 PST 2005

Hello All,

I am referring to the standard non-critical kernel error message:

cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

This occurs when one compiles the device atapicam to access the atapi CD
through the SCSI interface. In addition to this message there is a very
annoying 30 something second delay.

1) Does anyone know the origin of this message?
2) How do I get rid of it without having to put a CD in the tray before a
boot?

I have been google about this problem for quite a while but with not much
luck, so any information would be appreciated.

D.