5.3 Building Kernel/World

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Jan 17 14:53:33 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:25:55PM -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:

> >The number of changes between RELENG_5_3_0_RELEASE and RELENG_5_3 is
> >very small.  If you're seeing lots of changes, it means that you
> >didn't actually have a 5.3-RELEASE source tree installed before now,
> >which explains the problems you were seeing in compiling it.
> >
> >Kris
> >

> Thats interesting.  I was using the 5.3 release CD.  The checksums
> match those listed.  It was installed onto a re-formatted drive as I
> wanted the UFS-2.  The source was installed as part of the original
> installation.  Anyway, either the cvsup or the cleandirs worked.  I was
> able to buildworld and a new kernel.  Installation of both appears to
> have gone correctly.  uname gives the new kernel and strings of
> /boot/kernel/kernel also shows the new name.  uname before said
> 5.3-RELEASE.  It would appear that when I build the production systems
> I will immediately after instalation cvsup to RELENG_5_3 and then run
> make cleandir before anything else.  Fortunately right now I am playing
> with test systems.
>
> It it at all possible to not have to buildworld when building a new
> kernel?  For example, I was trying to add option atapicam.  It would
> seem that buildworld would not be necessary in that situation.

If you're modifying the kernel configuration and you have not updated
your sources you can use the 'config' method to build your kernels.
If you update your sources then you must use buildworld/buildkernel,
or you will occasionally encounter errors.  This is described in the
handbook in greater detail.

Kris