5.3 Building Kernel/World

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Mon Jan 17 12:25:55 PST 2005

On Jan 17, 2005, at 11:07, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> Really, this all points to something else having changed on your
>>> system in the meantime.  Try
>>>
>>> cd /usr/src
>>> make cleandir
>>> make cleandir
>>> make buildworld
>>>
>>> Kris
>>
>> Wish I had seen that earlier.  I just tried a cvs from RELENG_5_3.  I
>> thought that would only have
>> security fixes.  Its downloading a ton of stuff.  Obviously I can't
>> stop it.  Seems like just about all the
>> userland source files are being changed.  Lots of deletes too.  I'll
>> give the above a try when this
>> finishes.  Why so many files from cvs?
>
> The number of changes between RELENG_5_3_0_RELEASE and RELENG_5_3 is
> very small.  If you're seeing lots of changes, it means that you
> didn't actually have a 5.3-RELEASE source tree installed before now,
> which explains the problems you were seeing in compiling it.
>
> Kris

Thats interesting.  I was using the 5.3 release CD.  The checksums
match those listed.  It was installed onto a re-formatted drive as I
wanted the UFS-2.  The source was installed as part of the original
installation.  Anyway, either the cvsup or the cleandirs worked.  I was
able to buildworld and a new kernel.  Installation of both appears to
have gone correctly.  uname gives the new kernel and strings of
/boot/kernel/kernel also shows the new name.  uname before said
5.3-RELEASE.  It would appear that when I build the production systems
I will immediately after instalation cvsup to RELENG_5_3 and then run
make cleandir before anything else.  Fortunately right now I am playing
with test systems.

It it at all possible to not have to buildworld when building a new
kernel?  For example, I was trying to add option atapicam.  It would
seem that buildworld would not be necessary in that situation.