Creating a custom package

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Mon Jan 17 11:38:01 PST 2005

Chad Morland wrote:
> I have recently setup a FreeBSD jumpstart server to install using PXE.
> I would like to add some additional third-party applications as part
> of the install. The last page of the FreeBSD jumpstart guide describes
> how to make a custom package but it looks like it has to be built from
> the ports tree. The applications that I am trying to install are
> heavily customized and built from source.
>
> Would it be best to create a package of the compiled sources? Can a
> package be built if it is not a port? Do I need to create a custom
> port first AND THEN create a package?
>
> or..
>
> Should I create a small package with pre and post install scripts that
> install the compiled source files via NFS as well as configure any
> system settings?
>
> My aim is to Jumpstart my server and have it running 100% operational
> by the end of the install process with no human interaction.

So I assume that you have an install.cfg file? You can execute any
available command from there by adding lines like

system config_and_install_whatever_command.sh

Either it should be available on a NFS mount or you must first fetch it
with ftp. You will probably add such command at the end of install.cfg
when you have a base system installed.

This way, you can install your custom package in any way you want, be it
compiling from source or installing a package or other.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt