5.3 Building Kernel/World

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sun Jan 16 22:11:04 PST 2005

On Jan 16, 2005, at 22:05, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 09:51:13PM -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> The instructions for building world/kernel for 4.x are straight
>> forward
>> and work fine.  However, I seem to have munged two 5.3 installations
>> now.  I have been through all the UPDATING notes and the handbook and
>> something is obviously not clear.
>>
>> The approach I used is:
>>
>> Clean install from 5.3 distribution.
>> make buildworld
>> create new config file LAFN
>> make buildkernel KERNCONF=LAFN
>> make installkernel KERNCONF=LAFN
>> reboot
>> make installworld
>> reboot
>>
>> At that point It appeared I was using the LAFN kernel rather than
>> generic.
>>
>> However, tonight I tried to make a new kernel.  NO go:
>> ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
>> config version = 500012, version required = 500013
>>
>> So I tried to reinstall the kernel:
>> make installkernel KERNCONF=LAFN
>> install -o root -g wheel -m 555   acpi.ko /boot/kernel
>> install: acpi.ko: No such file or directory
>>
>> How are you supposed to build a new kernel that works?  How do I
>> recover this?
>
> The only way I can think for this to happen is if your source tree was
> inconsistent (i.e. not completely updated), or you updated your
> sources after you did the installworld, and the kernel depends on the
> newer version of config than the one you have built (in this case the
> 'safe' buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel method you used to begin
> with should still work).
>
> Kris

those instructions were typed just as noted with nothing inbetween.  I
have replaced kernel with kernel.old so the
system will boot.  But now I have an old kernel and new world
(possibly).  Nothing for reconstruction seems to work.
buildkernel continues to give the above error.  I guess I'll try a
buildworld again tomorrow.  Don't know what else
to do.