I need a cuppa...

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Sun Jan 16 15:35:55 PST 2005

Chuck Swiger wrote:

>> Even Apple doesn't show up in their radar... what do you expect.
> This is untrue.
> The Mac Runtime for Java is a high-priority environment for both Apple

When I go to java.sun.com, I can download the jdk for: Linux, Windows,
Solaris.  That's what I meant.

>> Java is as proprietary as it gets.  (Unfortunately many of us need it.)
> Nonsense.  While Java isn't OSI Open Source compliant, it's more open
> than anything which *doesn't* come with the sources included.

Proprietary is proprietary.  Java is not standardized, Sun has an iron
clutch on it (you can't name a reimplementation "Java[tm]"), and, in
contrast to Sun's marketing spindoctors, it's a rather unportable
environment (not the least due to Sun's licensing policy).  So what's
"open" there?  The fact that you may download it without license fees
for a selected few systems, and that they document their product?

mkb.