freebsd IT mailing list or newsgroup?

Murray Taylor murraytaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Sun Jan 16 15:13:04 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 05:12, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Jim Durham wrote:
> > I am the sys admin for a company of about 500 people and I am running
> > Sendmail/Procmail/Spamassassin, Samba, Apache/PHP/MySql on FreeBSD..about 8
> > servers in 3 offices across the US and soon to be more.
>
> OK.
>
> > Freebsd-questions is wonderful and I find a lot of answers there, but the
> > signal-to-noise is low when you are just looking for IT-oriented information
> > regarding FreeBSD. Especially regarding systems implemented for an office/LAN
> > environment.
> >
> > I was wondering if there is any mailing list or newsgroup devoted to IT on
> > FreeBSD? Google is not returning any hits on this, nor the listing on
> > freebsd.org.
>
> Your question parses, but it is not clear what specific thing you have in mind
> that would seperate an IT-oriented list from a non-IT oriented list.  Can you
> either give an example question or two, or can you say why freebsd-questions
> is *not* IT-oriented?
>
> Or does your question mean you looking for a list whose members are mostly
> sysadmins and network managers, rather than end-users?  FreeBSD doesn't really
> make much distinction between an end-user and a sysadmin [1], but you might
> find freebsd-stable or freebsd-isp to come closer to what you are looking for.
>
> --
> -Chuck
>
> [1]: Which can be benefit sometimes, or it can be a problem, especially for
> novice users, but that's another topic.

I agree the the S/N ratio is [a] variable [b] generally high ...

However I also find that for a specific question posed by oneself,
the S/N ratio improves a lot with directed answers generally being quite
useful. Admittedly, sometimes they can be 'short and succinct'
(read terse), especially if it is a common question for which the
answer could have been filtered out of the preceeding 'noise'.

cheers
mjt

--
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer
E: murraytaylor at bytecraftsystems.com
or visit us on the web
http://www.bytecraftsystems.com
http://www.bytecraftentertainment.com

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.