Speed up dialin connection via proxy?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Jan 14 20:05:04 PST 2005

In the last episode (Jan 14), Timothy Luoma said:
> I cannot get high speed internet access at home.  In fact, I can't
> get more than about 26400 on my dialup.
>
> My dialup is my FreeBSD machine (5.3).
>
> I am wondering if I setup a proxy on the FreeBSD machine, if it would
> speed downloads up any.  If so, what would be a good proxy to use?

A local proxy won't help you any more than simply cranking up your
browser cache.

> Anything else I could do to speed things up?

If you have access to a faster machine at the other end of your dialup
link, you can run something like Rabbit (
http:/rabbit-proxy.sourceforge.net ), which will compress your images
and web pages before sending them to you and your slow link.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com