server replication?

Gregor Mosheh stigmata_blackangel at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 17:56:56 PST 2005

After looking into the matter a bit more, my employer
has decided that we don't need a true zero-downtime
situation, that simply a "warm spare server" would be
sufficient.

Does anyone know of any packages, or have any scripts
or other references, for doing this sort of thing? I
guess the basic components would be: a network backup
(scp as root?), and a script to ping the real server
and change the rc.conf over to a second copy and
reboot with the new one if the pings fail. I could
write these myself, but I'm guessing someone wiser
than myself has already done it...