Out of the frying pan...

John john at starfire.mn.org
Fri Jan 14 10:23:28 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 06:19:20PM +0100, Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Andrew L. Gould wrote:
>
> >3. Definitely go with a clean installation of FreeBSD 5.3 rather than
> >5.2.1.
> >

> Just a sidenote, I did a source upgrade from 5.2.1 to 5.3, which
> basically worked okay.
> Switching from XFree to X.org was really troublesome, on the other hand...

Yes, I would say that the source upgrade from 5.2.1 to 5.3-STABLE was
fine, it was the xorg/XFree86 and kde issues that made me insane.
It's possible that I should have just done a pkg_delete -a and started
over with the packages from that point, but I also need to learn to
use pkg_upgrade.  I would not hesitate to do the source upgrade
again for a system which is NOT running X.

I have now reinstalled 5.3, just to get around the Xorg->XFree86
issue, and I have kde installed, and I have room to spare.  So,
I'm much farther than I was when I ran out of room, and I still
have room.  This is a good thing!

--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG