Odd (alarming) http log exerpt

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Fri Jan 14 08:36:39 PST 2005

On 01/14/05 10:17 AM, Jacob S sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:00:30 -0900
> Andy Firman <andy at firman.us> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 02:08:20PM +0100, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> > > What is this person doing? or attempting to do? I'm guessing nothing
> > >
> > > good.
> > >   Is there anything within...say httpd.conf..that I could do to
> > >   prevent
> > > this..or curtail it before it grows to such an enormous size.
> >
> > Looks like a WebDAV exploit.  You can run conditional logging in
> > your apache server to ignore it.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, you can also do something fun, like use mod_rewrite
> to redirect them to fbi.com whenever they try an attack like that.

I like that idea.  Reminds me of the day we discovered
http://www.taliban.org/  There was a Careers page - seriously -
apparently trying to recruit suicide bombers.  One of my coworkers
(thick Russian accent, which makes it a little more amusing) actually
called the number to see if it was real.

"Thank you for calling the National Offices for the Federal Bureau of
Investigation . . ."

 . . . at which point she panicked and hung up.

And of course we all fell about the place laughing ourselves silly.

The question is whether the Bureau would log the referrer URL.

BTW, I think it would be FBI.gov, yes?

Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Bloom's Seventh Law of Litigation: