Increasing Semaphores

Bill Schmitt (SW) software at schmittnet.com
Fri Jan 14 02:55:42 PST 2005

Over the past few days, I had some problems with too few connections
availabe for postgresql. I resolved them for the short term, but when I
tried setting the max_connections for postgresql as high as 64, I
received a message indicating that I had to increase the semaphores
available in the kernel before I could do that, which seems to require a
recompile of the kernel. I haven't compiled the kernel before, so this
is new to me. Before I go ahead and do that, after reading through the
handbook, etc., I wanted to ask if there were any gotcha's I should be
aware of. IOW, would increasing the number of semaphores available have
any cascading effect in general, all other things being equal? I'm
running FBSD 4.9.

Thx